Specialists earn way more than generalists in every single occupation
There are no exceptions
An obvious example is how much more you have to pay for a visit to an orthopaedic surgeon compared to your local GP
So why don’t personal trainers and gym owners specialize and charge more?
Mostly because we’re afraid it will “put people off”
…Or in some way limit the number of people we can help
After all, it’s difficult enough to attract new clients as it is, right?
Well, actually… NO!
The problem with this thinking is by trying to appeal to everyone, you end up appealing to no one.
What happens is you make weak, watered-down offers that either
a) get ignored completely, or
b) attract penny-pinching timewasters who don’t know what they want
…And if you do manage to persuade these tyre-kickers to train with you (which is difficult), they turn out to be lousy clients
You know the ones
They make excuses for not showing up – or they drain your energy like blood-sucking vampires
So try this instead…
- Narrow your focus and specialise in doing ONE THING better than anyone else
- Decide WHO you want to help and exactly WHAT problem you can most help them with
- Turn your unique fitness concept into a brand that people will instantly recognise (Crossfit, F45, P90X, Metafit…?)
This approach has several benefits:
- You get to spend your time doing what you love and what you’re good at
- It’s easier to find new clients because you know exactly where to look for them
- You become known for knowing something – which makes word-of-mouth referrals come easily
- You attract better quality clients
- You can charge more for what you do
Look, it is stressful and exhausting trying to please everyone
So why bother?
Instead, make a commitment to become the best in the world at the one thing you love and do best. That way, no one can object to what you charge – because there is no one else to compare you to
Want Some Help To Figure Out YOUR Speciality?
If you’re feeling stuck, overworked or in desperate need of some new clients, why not book a FREE 15-minute ‘Speed-Coaching’ call with me?
I’ll help you figure out what your unique super-power is… and how to immediately put it to use to attract better clients and increase the number of referrals you receive